With simple flavors, yet irresistible aroma, Kashmiri Rice is very flavourful. It can complement any type of gravy and can also be eaten as a delicacy in itself. With great aroma of ghee sauteed dry fruits and aromatic basmati rice in each spoon, there is nothing like the highly delectable and traditionally prepared Kashmiri Rice.
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Ghee – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Onion, thinly sliced – 1
- Cashews – Sliced, 10 to 12
- Almonds – Sliced, 10 to 12
- Walnuts – Sliced, 10 to 12
- Dried apricot – Chopped, 10 to 12
- Raisins – 10 to 12
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Caraway seeds – 1 tsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Green cardamoms – 2
- Black cardamom – 1
- Dry ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel – 1 tsp
- Crushed saffron – 1 tsp
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
- Wash well, soak Basmati rice in plain water for a minimum of 30 mins.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan to sauté the thinly sliced onion till golden brown. Set aside the sautéd onion for use later.
- In the same pan, sauté dry fruits and set aside.
- Add the remaining ghee in the pan to fry the whole spices. Add ginger and fennel powder.
- Drain water from the soaked Basmati rice and add to the pan with crushed saffron.
- Add approximately 2–3 cups water to the pan and season with salt.
- Cook the Basmati rice with a covered pan till fully cooked. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Garnish with sautéd onion and dry fruits. Serve warm.