Rich, creamy and aromatic, Dal Makhani has red kidney beans and black lentil cooked with lots of cream and selected spices. It tastes best with served piping hot with steamed rice and with a variety of Indian breads like Roti, Naan and Parathas.
- 3/4 cup of whole black lentils (urad dal)
- 1/4 cup of red kidney beans
- 1 big cardamon (optional)
- 1 bay leave (optional)
- Water to pressure cook the dal
- 2 -3 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon of Asofoetida
- 1 medium sized finely chopped onion
- 2 -3 medium sized finely chopped and de-seed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 slit green chilly
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 3/4 coriander powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoon of thick cream
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- Wash whole black lentils (dal) and red kidney beans properly. Soak them overnight in three cups of water.
- Drain the water and transfer the soaked dal in the pressure cooker. Add big cardamon, bay leaf and around 3 cups of water to cook it.
- Pressure cook the dal for around half an hour on low flame. If it is not soften, add more water and cook it for another 10-15 minutes.
- Heat butter in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin seeds and let is crackle. Now add asofoetida, ginger, garlic and green chilli.
- Now add onions and saute it till it turns golden brown. Now add tomatoes and saute till it turns mushy.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and garam masala. Saute it well till all the spices mix well and butter starts leaving the sides.
- Pour the cooked dal, along with the stock. Cook it on slow flame till it thickens. It is ideal to slow cook it for about 60 minutes. Stir at regular intervals to avoid dal sticking at the bottom. You can add water to maintain its consistency.
- Now add thick cream in the dal and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer it into serving bowl and garnish with finely chopped coriander and ginger juliennes.
- Serve it hot with rice, naan or roti.