Veg Spring roll is a popular Asian snack often served as an appetiser. A mixture of crunchy vegetables and spices are rolled into a frozen sheet or homemade wrapper. It is then deep fried and served piping hot with schezwan sauce.
- 3/4 cup of shredded cabbage
- 4-5 spring finely chopped spring onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 finely cut beans
- 1/2 cup finely sliced bell pepper (assorted bell pepper is optional)
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1-inch grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of cooked noodles (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- 10-15 wrappers or frozen sheets
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan. Add finely chopped spring onion.
- Saute the spring onion for a while. Add minced garlic and ginger. Stir the mixture till it turns light brown.
- Add all the vegetables (cabbage, carrots, beans and bell peppers) in the pan. Stir fry it on high flame for 3-4 minutes. You can also add cooked noodles to the mixture.
Please note: Don’t overcook the vegetables, since it may lose its crunchiness.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add salt, black pepper powder, soy sauce and vinegar to the vegetable mixture.
Please note: Be careful while adding salt, since soy sauce already contains salt.
- Mix everything well and cook it for a couple of minutes on medium flame. Transfer the mixture to another vessel. Keep it aside and let it cool.
- Now mix 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour in 2 tablespoons of water to prepare a slurry.
- Take spring roll wrapper and spread it on an even surface. Wrappers might get stick with each other, pull gently to separate them.
- Take a spoon full of the vegetable filling. Place it diagonally at one corner of the wrapper.
- Roll the wrapper gently, but tightly from the end till you reach mid-way
- Spread the slurry on the edges. Now, gently fold one end of the wrapper and bring it in the centre.
- Apply slurry to the other side of the wrapper, if needed and bring it in the centre.
- Cover the spring rolls with a slightly damp cloth, so they don’t get dry.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Deep fry the spring rolls at medium flame, till they turn brown. Use a paper towel to absorbs excess oil.
- Serve piping hot spring rolls with schezwan sauce or tomato ketchup.